10 August 2007

Chicken

I learned, from the Discovery Channel's show "How It's Made", how processed chicken becomes, well, processed. I'm glad I've eaten less meat since I've gotten to college. It's a lot easier to say, "No" to meat since I've so many options at meal times! The process didn't look gross on TV so I've nothing against the way DC presented it, and I don't dislike the taste of meat, it's just my body that doesn't like meat. 'Tis sad, but what can I do?

So I started to think about how chicken was coined "the other white meat." And it makes sense, the differences between red meat and white meat, I just wish they had noticably different effects on me. I was also thinking about farm-raised chickens and the chickens that are free to roam and do their thing. Chinese people, for one, really favor the free-roaming ones more and usually think that chicken breasts are too rough and "mushy" when it's not fresh. I prefer the veggies! and TOFU! but not the deep fried tofu. Yummy!

Pigs are usually the epitome of dirty/unclean, but really, chickens are even dirtier then pigs! Pigs are usually used as substitutes for humans in scientific research (when it comes to organs at least) and some behaviors carry over. Pigs poo in one place, like humans do. Dogs can be trained to poo in an orderly fashion, but chickens? They just go. Whenever it feels right, it happens. So chickens run around in their OWN POO. Ew. Everyone agrees that poo is necessary, but gross. So how are pigs th epitome of dirty? Re-think that one.

Chickens: 0
Piggys: 1

4 comments:

negenics3 said...

plus plus! piggies have pigtails! mmm.
/innocent

hyssop said...

Even though it's so bad for me, I can't help it. I love chicken. There's even an X-Files episode where Mulder and Scully discover that this town that's famous for its fried chicken has actually been killing people and mixing them in with the chicken. A town full of cannibals, apparently.

Hah. Yum.

Anonymous said...

As I have told you I live on a farm, and one of the weirdest animals we had were emus. If you have never heard of them just imagine GIGANTIC CHICKENS, I'm not even joking about this one. They were about 4-5 feet tall and had a nasty kick(they could kill you with it). But our two emus were just big clods, they loved attention and pecking at zippers or buttons. They ran around in their own fecal matter and as a result we named them Muck and Mire. We also owned pigs for a little bit and at least from personal experience, they sh** anywhere they feel like, and will, if they want to, wallow in it and the mud. Overall both of the animals are relatively disgusting but I will give it to the birds that they take dust baths (to get rid of bugs) and I will also give it to pigs that mud acts as a bug repellant. To each their own I guess but I prefer llamas, not to eat of course, but they do poop in one place as a strict rule, and they are really snobbish about keeping away the bugs with dust baths and constant shakes to remove them.
Llamas: +1
YAY Llamas!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.