09 August 2007

Laundry

Productivity is a flexible word. Measuring productivity is a task of varying difficulties because productivity is both objective and subjective. For instance, I felt productive today because I did my laundry. I had clean, dry clothing to fold and neatly put away in my drawers and hang in the closet. Finishing that single load sent a wave of accomplishment over me. I'm sure people with high-stress, high-profile jobs will view my sense of productivity as childish and immature, especially when compared to their goals and aspirations. Today, I felt like being easily satisfied.

In actuality, I say that I accomplished more than just laundry. I helped Marta with her opinion paper, I made her read my paper defining "unclean" which prompted her to clean her room and I devised a way to put my fan in the window to suck in the cool night air. It works wonders! I also held an awesome conversation with an old friend, read a Bible verse or two, and relocated my iTunes library. It was a productive day in my book.

Of course, as in all things, productivity also has an opposite: laziness. Of that heinous act, I plead guilty today. I skipped my morning class because I didn't feel like hiking 20 minutes through the downpour. In some books, this laziness would cancel out the counts of productivity but in my book, it just means I have more work tomorrow to make up for what I missed today. Tomorrow, I'll find out if staying dry this morning was worth it.

Today, productive, was I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh, I totally sympathize with you on your laziness. With our Econ teacher barely able to speak English, no role taking, and a generally boring subject, I find it pretty hard to concentrate.